Physicians recommend recovering couch potatoes to walk 10,000 steps every day.
Using smartphone apps and other digital and electronic wearables can enhance your walking experience, and prove to be accountability trackers that prompt users to meet their daily step-count goals.
Ten-thousand steps a day is an ambitious goal to shoot for, and one that has huge carryover health effects that can improve one’s well-being and cardiovascular health.
However, the exact number of steps to be taken to realize health benefits can vary for different people based on their desired health goals, current physical condition and endurance, and body type.
Plus, the schedules that many people are accustomed to will not allow them to set out toward achieving such an ambitious goal, especially when so many life responsibilities can get in the way.
Given the obvious constraints, you should adjust your goals accordingly. Choose a certain difficulty level, for your age and health condition.
If you think you don’t have the time to walk as much, why not consider a step-count goal of 2000 steps or more, which in of itself is not ambitious but respectable number of steps.
Push through the constraints, excuses, and barriers, and shoot for the decent goal of 2000 steps that will yield considerable health benefits as well.
So, without much further ado, let’s dive into how you can start walking 2000 steps or more in a day:
1) Motivation for the seniors:
Walking is a relatively low-impact activity that can help you in becoming strong and healthy.
Since seniors are prone to sustaining physical injuries from too much physical exertion, walking is a relatively safer option them; walking is easier on the knees as well, as compared to running. Further, one can recover from it in less time.
Older folks with severe illnesses need to take precautions when it comes to lifestyle changes, like incorporating walking into their routine. They should start gradually, and if they’re at a nursing home, a nurse should accompany them.
Nurses are expert healthcare professionals who are experienced in offering various assistive and prescriptive healthcare services. The nurses credentialed in master of science in nursing online know how to administer care to patients, considering their varying health requirements, and are, therefore, considered one of the best care providers.
2) Tips for Busy People:
Your work can keep you from achieving your health goals. You have to strike a balance, and work on your health alongside with your job. You need money to eat and live well, after all.
Here are a few tips you can use to strike that perfect balance:
- When on coffee/tea break, walk to the café across the street instead of getting a cup from the in-house kiosk
- Instead of sending a text over Skype, WhatsApp, or any other form of digital communication medium, you should get up and walk over to your colleague’s desk to run things by them.
- Ditch the elevator and take the stairs whether you are going up or downstairs.
- Use the restroom on another floor than the one where you work, and take the stairs to that floor.
- If your place of work is nearby, walk all the way to the office and back every day.
- After working for an hour or two, get up and walk for five-minute to clear your head.
Walking boosts concentration, improves mood, and fires up the blood circulation.
3) How to Get Over the Resistance:
Going for a walk might be the most boring idea to some people. Plodding a path, seemingly going nowhere, doesn’t in itself encourage one to get up and moving.
But you don’t have to be bored while walking. Here are some fun tips to make your walks interesting:
- Listen to your favorite music on your walks.
- Get a walking partner, preferably a dog, but a human partner will also do.
- Go for a walk in a pleasant environment. Watching the beautiful scenery around you can also be therapeutic. You will get a strong sense of being connected with the nature.
Your lifestyle choices could be impacting your health. Most people who work jobs, or those with responsibilities that allow for little free time during the day, tend to spend majority of their time seated at desks.
Living a sedentary life leads to a lot of health risks, including diabetes. You should take up some sort of physical activity to keep yourself healthy.
Walking is an activity that is easily accessible to almost every abled human. Shooting for a respectable goal of taking 2000 steps a day is a great starting point. You can use apps or digital watches to track your daily step goals.
In addition to that, you should incorporate the tips provided above to keep yourself motivated and entertained on your strolls.